Digital transformation is changing the way we work, and the world of work is never going to be the same again. To thrive in this new digital landscape, workers need to develop new skills, mindsets and behaviours to stay relevant and remain employed. The good news is that you can do something about it. By learning how new technologies are reshaping jobs and industries, you can proactively adapt your career strategy and futureproof yourself for the next decade. If you’re interested in making sure your future job prospects are bright, read on for some useful tips on how you can get ready for tomorrow’s workplace of artificial intelligence, collaborative teams and remote employees.
Build your digital skillset
You can’t predict what the future will look like, but you can prepare for it. That’s why it’s essential to build up a strong digital skillset that can help you stay employable for years to come. Before you know it, many of today’s most in-demand skills will be irrelevant and replaced by new technologies and techniques. By learning new skills and developing your digital toolkit, you’ll be able to stay ahead of the curve and stay employable regardless of what the future holds. These are some of the most in-demand skills you should consider learning.
- Data analysis: Data is the new oil, so it’s important to know how to make the most of it. Data analysis can help you extract insights and find hidden patterns in your company’s data to help make more informed decisions.
- Digital Workforce: Bots are digital co-workers and the best way to “get stuff done” quickly, accurately and at a lower cost, so stop fussing over data entry and spreadsheets, pass the work over to a Bot and change how and what you spend your time on.
- AI and machine learning: AI is revolutionizing every industry, and it’s also becoming an increasingly important skill to have on your resume. Whether you’re using AI to automate your job or creating an AI-driven product, it’s one of the most valuable skills you can have.
- Design thinking: Design thinking is an iterative process that can be applied to any industry, sector or company. It’s a great skill to have if you want to work in innovation or business strategy.
- Blockchain: As more companies adopt blockchain technology, blockchain engineers are becoming increasingly in demand. If you have programming skills, this is a great skill to have on your resume.
Collaborate and learn from your colleagues
One of the biggest challenges of the future of work is that teams will be virtual, distributed or both. This means that collaboration will become increasingly important, so start practising it now. If you work in a traditional office, you’re lucky because you’ll have colleagues physically there to collaborate with. But even if you work remotely, you can still learn from your colleagues by regularly setting up video calls and implementing other digital collaboration tools like collaborative workspaces and virtual whiteboarding. When you share ideas and insights, you’ll get a broader perspective on how your industry operates. You’ll also learn from your colleagues and have a support network to fall back on in times of need.
Stay flexible and be ready to relocate
As a future worker, you may need to be willing to go the extra mile to succeed in any role. That means being flexible and ready to relocate if you want the job. If you want to get ahead, you may need to be willing to relocate to a new city, country or even continent if necessary. If you’re not ready to uproot your life, your career might stall. With technologies like remote working, video calls and collaborative workspaces becoming increasingly important, you don’t necessarily have to be based in one location, but being flexible and ready to relocate will help you stay employable and open up more career opportunities.
Take care of yourself physically and mentally
Finally, it’s important to take care of yourself physically and mentally to stay employable for years to come. That means getting enough sleep, eating well and exercising regularly. But it also means having a positive mindset that helps you stay optimistic and resilient in the face of challenges. An optimistic and resilient mindset will help you to stay positive and motivated when challenges arise. It will also help you to bounce back more quickly from disappointments and setbacks. It’s important to keep in mind that there is no one-size-fits-all approach to building resilience. No two people have the same experiences, and everyone deals with difficulties differently. That’s why it’s important to find what works for you.
Changes across our world continue to accelerate the need and the pace of digital transformation which in turn is changing the way we work forever. Prepare now for the future of work to ensure you thrive in the new landscape, develop the essential new skills you will need and nurture a positive mindset to stay relevant and thrive. The future is faster than you think, so don’t wait.
Talk to us about the Future of Work or how Bot co-workers could transform how and what you work on.